Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Surrendering Our Careers, Continued

At about the age of eight years old, I started wondering what I would be when I grew up. I was told by the sisters at Holy Cross Catholic School that God would use me in an important and powerful way. So, I grew up thinking that I would probably be the President of the United States or president of something. I can tell you that the question has always been in my mind. I have felt somewhat of a failure, because at age 52, I still wasn't President of anything. I was looking backward and second guessing the choices that I had made. I still find myself asking God, "What am I going to be when I grow up, what business will I be in"?

The only business that we need to be in, is the business to spread love and we all do that every day in all situations. We are not deciding for ourselves what part to play in life, but rather asking that it be revealed to us where He would have us go and what He would have us do. We surrender our careers to Him. We might not know how or where our talents would best be put to use, but the Holy Spirit does. How easy and great is that. The pressure is off people.

If you're talented at creating web sites, sales, painting, dancing or customer service, that talent is of God. Sharing our talents is what makes us happy. We are most powerful, and God's power is most apparent on the earth, when we are happy.

"Dear God, please give my life some sense of purpose. Use me as an instrument of your peace. Use my talents and abilities to spread love. I surrender my job to you. Help me remember that my real job is to love. Thank you very much. Amen."

Peace Bro
MM (Missionary Momma"

2 comments:

  1. I am a strong believer in surrendering your career to God. I used to work to climb the corporate ladder. Not really doing what I loved, but what I thought I could be the most successful in. Now, after some pretty hard times(and realizing I need to listen to God a little more), I have found my niche that God wanted for me and I am in my happy place. It allows me to spend more time focusing on raising happy, loving little boys and building my relationship with Dustin.

    It's all about having faith that He's guiding us. We have to stop trying to make the decisions and let him lead us. He wants to make it easy for us but for some reason we so often try to just make our own decisions, which makes things much, much harder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Jenny. You have been an inspiration to me. You are living proof that there is a higher power in control of our lives. Thanks for having the courage to trust in your faith.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments...Your thoughts, concerns, prayers, ideas, lessons, hurts, and hopes.